Motorpark, Romania

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Luchian, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Gabriel44

Gabriel44 Guest

thx Prototype ;)
    I'm a SUPER Big fan on Ayrton Senna and his mp4/6, but that 643 Ferrari is brilliant! I love it! :p

1 person likes this.
  2. Luchian

Luchian Administrator Staff Member Concurent RLR

You know how it is.. life with time and lack of it :D.
    But yes, kerbs should come "soon", since we'll run on it in our league in a few weeks.

2 people like this.
  3. Prototype

Prototype Guest

Such an exciting time for F1 - that era. The cars were raw, insanely powerful, difficult to drive and beautiful.
    ... and the sound!

Yup.

1 person likes this.
  4. Luchian

Since sort of speaking about this, do you guys know of a trick to capture satellite imagery at "native" resolution ?
    For example, using a 8k texture for whole track is nice, but it depends WHAT you capture in that 8k. For example, when zooming in after some point the image is just "software zoomed", and looses detail. I know that one could use his eyes :D to get the 100%-ish zoom level, but maybe there is a trick to get exactly 100% zoom ? (that would be the best use of that big 8k resolution)

(sorry @Prototype for hijack :D)

5. barf

barf Guest

It's a good question luchian, it depends on what is publicly available (and free for re-use, OSM data is Creative Commons). I'll document how in QGIS, but will open a new thread for it :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Luchian

Sure, a thread is very nice.

I need THIS in the highest resolution possible :D

7. barf

barf Guest

Just read this about the track map here not matching the RTB output, it could be a mercator scale issue, can you find what 'map projection' the reference map here is Luchian?

8. barf

barf Guest

that yandex map is very slow from New Zealand :ROFLMAO:

ESRI and DigitalGlobe etc will sell you higher-res photos probably, but their prices can give a healthy man a heart attack. Finding a good, free orthophoto source will be the difficult part. I'll take a look.

Maybe, if you are lucky, there is a local government department or council who have photos and DEMs already, and might share them?

DEMs and orthophotos are often kept by councils for planning purposes (roads, property, etc). It can't hurt to ask! Land Information New Zealand were very helpful to me for example.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  9. barf

barf Guest

Unfortunately I can't find any free/public use WMTS services with photos for Romaina :(
    but I did find this: http://geoportal.ancpi.ro/geoportal/viewer/index.html

my language skills limit me here :banghead: maybe you can find a way to export from this system?

some other places that might have photos of Romania:
    http://geographiccuriosities.freeservers.com/EurLinks3.htm (dead links)
    http://vterrain.org/Locations/ro/
    http://discomap.eea.europa.eu/Index/

PS. I think the official map projection for Romania is EPSG:3844. That official track map is possibly made in this projection, and might explain it not lining up with Google maps (which use Web/Pseudo Mercator projection).

10. Prototype

Prototype Guest

WHAT??!!! :-D This is all about sharing knowledge! Love it.

@luchian This may help - not sure ...

• RTB - love it or hate it. Its got some interesting tools ...
    • This is the highest quality google image I could get out of it for Motorpark.
    • RTB basically seamlessly stitches Google satellite images together up to 16k.
    • Im busy doing the same exercise for myself, prepping files to try out @Johnr777 suggestions.

[​IMG]

4352 images for the 8k to be exact! ^^^^

Heres the link to DDS
    A 5 x 5 km 8k image and a 2 x 2 km 8k image.
    These are from Google, so not sure theyre the best quality available, but it is what is is. Use it / dont use it :).

LMK once youve downloaded it so I can delete the link and the files.

Maybe the image will line up 100% on your mesh, as you got the original mesh from RTB right?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  11. Johnr777

Johnr777 Guest

RTB still pulling images from the Google API? I though that was a subscription service now.

I found it to be the only really useful feature from that software, BUT, sometimes you need to turn off elevation compensations from the image if you are draping it over lidar. So Google Earth Pro and stitching it in photoshop is still the best bet in most cases.

12. Prototype

Prototype Guest

Yup. First $300 p/m is free AFAIK

13. Luchian

Hey, thank you very much for all the info guys :).

Some clarification is in order now :D.

I do not use RTB (I do not even own it). The initial track was "quickly" made with RTB by @Pixelchaser because this project was suppose to be a quick mashup for a friend that does track days there and wanted to have a bit of sim time. However, it turned out that a lot of the people going there to race IRL were interested in this. So with the kind support of helping hands like @Gabriel44 & co, I managed to get an AutoCAD plan of the track (albeit rather old, from project phase). And based on that, and an actual visit at the track for photo reference, I have rebuilt this track from scratch. The only "RTB" left in, is a 4k google map texture of the area.

The problem is that google data is very old (track looks in construction). Yandex on the other hand, has a newer satellite image, and this was why I asking if there a way to capture that at the maximum "native" resolution, to make the best use of an 8K texture. Additionally, IF I would know what is the native resolution, I would be able to decide how much of surrounding terrain I could fit into that 8K tex.

Only by eye, I can (and did) capture an area, using SAS.Planet.
    I got it in a resolution of 16k x 13k I think, but like I said, if I watch it at 1:1, it's veery noisy. I guess that if there's no trick to find the correct zoom, I'll just have to make a bunch of tests and make an eyeball choice.

I don't know what google-fu you have, but I would've NOT been able to find these even if I understand the language :lol:. And while directly, they did not have exactly what I was looking for, the first link (which belongs to cadastral administration) led me to this http://geoportal.ancpi.ro/geoportal/imobile/Harta.html where they have some "2016-2018" imagery. Even if it's still from the time when they were doing the works, it's still a tad newer and in much better resolution than google maps. BUT, age wise, still older than the Yandex version.

Thank you very much @Prototype , nice gesture from you. I did download the maps, even though I might endup not using them (if I manage to get something better) :).

PS: so basically I am not looking for fidelity to get the tarmac right (that is already done at cm level based on AutoCAD). It's just to have a nice surrounding texture AND to make my life easier in placing the rest of the props (kerbs, towers, fences, pit entry, etc).

14. barf

barf Guest

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  15. Johnr777

Johnr777 Guest

@barf , you are like the lidar and ortho image guru lol

2 people like this.
  16. barf

barf Guest

thanks @Johnr777 I got a lot to learn still tho!

Downloaded those photos but unfortunately I couldn't get 4GB/65536x65536 pixels of them to load in blender, so I halved it to 32768 pixels (1GB), which works out to be 1.3m/pixel in the Pulkovo Stereo projection centered on Romania.
    [​IMG]

Then I put the photos onto the Japan Space Exploration Agency's ALOS AW3D30 DSM in blender here:
    https://mega.nz/#!3aRVwCgL!uhJxVhQKXn4R0lyFgktV-3zv2WPXEZUxBGHCpsTOzrs

At 30m the ALOS DSM is definately no LiDAR.. but it's suitable for background terrain relief, and newer and better than the SRTM and ASTER. And it's free for public use if you credit JAXA with the Copyright to it.

Might be a good idea to decimate/dissolve this mesh tho, it's still a grid array of leftover vertices from the GeoTIFF/raster import. Narrowing it down more might permit higher res texture to fit, let me know if there's anything more I can do.

3 people like this.
  17. Luchian

Jeezaz @barf , it's like you're fluent in satellite imagery :eek:.

Thank you very much for all this effort ! Let's see what can be done with this :).
    The area where the track is (an old pond actually) is very flat. The maximum height different between the 2 most extreme points (highest/lowest) is only 2m. And that I have it quite ok already, because the DWG had some Z points measurements on it.

However, while the surroundings are also "flat", there are in fact some "micro-hills around" (few meters), and it would be great to be able to position those.. :rolleyes:

18. Luchian

19. barf

barf Guest

Sure! Just had a look :nerd: some cool products in there!

The EU-DEM looks like a great terrain reference for Europe, better than SRTM, ASTER and the ALOS AW3D30 anyway. LUCAS (Land Use and Cover Area frame Survey) has land-use info like forests, vegetation types.

Mosaic-hub has 10 meter 2017 orthophotos and there's 2.5m 2012 photos here. ancpi geoportal still has the highest res I think, but the EU-DEM is a good find :cool:

2 people like this.
  20. Luchian

Hmm, indeed. I have browsed through most of them.. unfortunately the detail is not enough :|. I've made some capture from Yandex, I'll have to deal with that. And the one you've sent me will do for surroundings. Thank you for the time & effort :).